Smart Bug Chemical Sensing
The Smart Bug Detector uses classically conditioned insects to detect odors of interest. Because they are cheap to rear, are extremely sensitive and robust towards the odors of interest. these insects can be conditioned towards almost any odor in a matter of minutes and can provide feedback via a behavioral analysis computer program within 20-30 seconds.
Dr. Rains is working with Dr. Ramasamy at the University of Georgia School of Engineering to develop an enzyme-based electro-chemical biosensor to detect chemicals associated with the early onset of plant pathogen infection, before visible symptoms appear,
Customized Electronic Nose to Detect Sour Skin in Onions
Dr. Rains is collaborating with Dr. Changying Li to develop a customized electronic nose for the detection of sour skin on onions in storage.
- Zhou, Z., D. Kulasiri, S. Samarasinghe, G. Rains, D. Olson. 2015. Computational modelling and experimental validation of odour detection behaviours of classically conditioned parasitic wasp, Microplitis croceipes, Biotech. Progress, Published online Dec. 20, 2014.
- Konduru, T., GC Rains, C Li., 2015. A customized metal oxide semiconductor-based gas sensor array for onion quality evaluation: system development and characterization, Sensors, 15, 1252-1273.
- Konduru, T., GC Rains, C. Li. 2015. Detecting sour skin infected onions using a customized gas sensor array, Journal of Food Engineering, 160: 19-27.
- Olson, DM, and GC Rains. 2014. Use of a Parasitic Wasp as a Biosensor, Biosensors,4(2):150-160.
- Umasankar, Y, GC Rains, Ramasamy, R., 2012. Electroanalytical studies on green leaf volatiles for potential sensor development, Analyst, 137, 3138-3145.
- Zhou, Z., GC Rains, D. Kulasiri, 2012. Development of a Behavior Parameter in Classically Conditioned Parasitic Wasps that Detect Changes in Odor Intensity, Trans of Biological Engineering,(2): 19-31.
- Wäckers, Felix, Dawn Olson, Glen Rains, Frank Bundby, John-Erik Haugen. 2011. Boar taint detection using parasitoid biosensors, Journal of Food Science, 76: S41-S47.
- Rains, GC, D. Kulasiri, Z. Zhou, S. Samarasinghe2, J.K. Tomberlin, D.M. Olson. 2010 Synthesizing Neurophysiology, Genetics, Behaviour and Learning to Produce Whole-Insect Programmable Sensors to Detect Volatile Chemicals. Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews. Vol. 26: 191-216.
- Tomberlin, JK, Rains, GC, MR Sanford, 2008, Development of Microplitis croceipes as a biological sensor, Entomologia Experimentalis, 128: 249-257.
- Rains, GC, Tomberlin, JK, Kulasiri, D. 2008. Using insect sniffing devices for detection, Trends in Biotechnology, 26(6), 288-294.