Plants respond to pests with induced chemical responses. We have conducted several studies in conjunction with the USDA-ARS in Tifton to develop a better understanding of how other stressors affect the plants response to insect herbivory. In addition, we are examining the volatile production from damaged peanuts and vegetables after harvest
Behavioral Analysis of Invertebrates
We are modeling foraging behavior of a parasitic wasp classically conditioned to volatile chemicals. This data has discovered a specific behavioral trait that can be correlated to concentration of the chemicals the wasp was conditioned to.
- Potter TL, Olson DM, Ni X, Rains GC. 2015. A re-examination of corn (Zea mays L.) ear volatiles, PHYTOCHEMISTRY LETTERS 14:280-286 Dec 2015.
- Zhou Z, Kulasiri D, Samarasinghe S, Rains G, Olson DM. 2015. Computational Modeling and Experimental Validation of Odor Detection Behaviors of Classically Conditioned Parasitic Wasp, Microplitis croceipes, BIOTECHNOLOGY PROGRESS 31(2):596-606 2015
- Zhou, Z., GC Rains, D. Kulasiri, 2012. Development of a Behavior Parameter in Classically Conditioned Parasitic Wasps that Detect Changes in Odor Intensity, Trans of Biological Engineering,(2): 19-31.
- Olson, DM, AM Cortesero, GC Rains, T. Potter, W. Joe Lewis. 2009, Nitrogen and water affect direct and indirect plant systemic induced defense in cotton, Biological Control, 49(3):239-244.
- Jurjevic, Z., GC Rains, DM Wilson, WJ Lewis. 2008. Volatile Metabolites Associated with Aflatoxigenic and Nontoxigenic Strains of Aspergillus flavus Grown on Three Different Substrates, Phytopathologia Mediterranea, 47(3):266-271.
- Olson, DM, Davis, RF, Wackers, FL, Rains, GC, Potter, T. 2008. Plant-herbivore-carnivore interactions in cotton, gossypium hirsutum: linking belowground and aboveground, Journal of Chemical Ecology, 34:1341-1345.
- Takasu, K, GC Rains, WJ Lewis. 2007. Comparison of odor detection ability between males and females in the larval parasitoid Microplitis croceipes (Hymenoptera: Braconidae), Entomologia experimentalis et applicata, 122(3), 247-251.